Thursday, December 7, 2017

Thats Durham done

Well I reckon that's me finished now. 1047, pretty much as was planned though I should have put a lot more effort in looking for invertebrates.

Only a few addtions, though the Brown Hare I had given up on as it's been a couple of years since I had one here.

1042. Peziza badia (Bay Cup fungus)
1043. Palustriella commutata (Curled Hook-moss)
1044. Lepus europaeus (Brown Hare)
1045. Poecilocampa populi (December Moth)
1046. Erannis defoliaria (Mottled Umber)
1047. Melampsora euphorbiae (Spurge Rust)










I dont think it was much a challenge doing the same square a second time and I didn't have it in me nor possibly the time,  to try and beat the previous attempt.

I still need a challenge however and to move out of my square/comfort zone,  so I think  I'll do something on the lines that Seth suggested and hit the coast. I need to get my overall pan-list up which is sorely lacking things with marina, maritima etc in the vernacular. Want to here a confession? - I have NEVER done any rockpooling, anywhere! After some thought I'm going to try for 2,000 species but all within VC66 and all within 100m  of the high water mark and not venturing more than 100m inland at the Tyne/Wear/Tees estuaries. It could get a bit frustrating not being able to count many of seabirds or cetaceans that are too far out but I've seen most of them I could expect to see so it will not be a big problem. I have no idea whatsoever if it's its possible to get 2,000 or if in fact it will be dead easy but certainly different from what I'm used to.

That's me sorted for 2018


Keith Robson
NZ2549 - VC66 (Waldridge)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats :) Watch the rockpool time lapsey stuff on the last episode of Blue Planet. that'll get you fired up! I have already sort of started recording 1000 spp in the next square, along with plans to push my local reserve list from 1600 to over 2000. There is clearly something wrong with me/us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Keith, tis a very grand tally. As for next year's absurdity... very best of luck with that! Tight restrictions on that 200 metre corridor, but it'll be intriguing to see how you progress. Will you be blogging again? You can't just leave us hanging! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, both the total and the plans for next year. Really like how setting a target and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can really drive someone forward. Best of luck, looking forward to hearing how you get on. Then I just need to move house to a rocky coast

    ReplyDelete