Saturday, October 28, 2017

Who's been lazy? - Co. Durham update

Its good to see everyone has continued with the challenge and the 1K has been or is ready to be passed by several pan-listers.
Its been several months since I have updated anything partly, to be honest, because I got bored but also, I  took on a job of surveying the magnesium limestone flora on sections of the A19.... and its a *£$%ing long road. Plus, I've been doing some birding etc in Cyprus. Now I've finished all that and I've got the time,  it's gale force winds and not much in the way of daylight but at least it allowed me to start totalling everything up. I've had the moth trap running a couple of times a week but it's been a rush to just id the moths never mind anything else in it. That's the excuses out of the way.

So here is where I'm at and I doubt I'll get more than another 20 by year end. My plan at the start of this was to look at groups I don't normally bother with but it hasn't worked out like that and I think its partly because I did this challenge in 2014. I've been lazy and as I knew where most of the birds, flora and bryophytes were, together with checking the moth trap on a regular basis, it's been too easy.
If I had to do it again, and it will n
ot be in the near future, I would pick a different square, preferably one I'm not at all familiar with.
Meanwhile, I'll continue this year and then concentrate on my UK (well mainly Durham) Pan-list next year. I've got a whole coastline I've hardly explored.








Keith Robson
Waldridge, Co. Durham (VC66)

4 comments:

  1. I'm tempted to do it again in the same square to see how different the results are. I would expect to be able to "go through the motions" on things that were new to me this year but I wonder what percentage would be different. Still, other things have been put on hold to do this so I'll probably come at it from studying one group (flies) next year. On the other hand, I didn't work the square my house is in, which would be an ideal new square to dabble in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tot up at the end but think about 95% with be the same species. With my square containing my house and therefore everything being on my doorstep, all I had to do to get most of the species was go to where I've already had them at the right time of year or check my mothtrap as soon as I get up. Definitely need to get out of my comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. Mightily impressive tally (yet again!), and I can't wait to see how your "Durham Coastline PSL 2018 Challenge" progresses. 2K in your sights? Well, be rude not to, wouldn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tempting, I think something like everything must be within 1km of the high watermark perhaps. Would mean I couldn't count some of the seabirds (and cetaceans!)that would be out beyond that, which I think could be very frustrating. But I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've did any sort of rock-pooling and I may have to find mu fishing rod in the garage somewhere. The more I think of it the more I'm coming round to the idea

      Delete